Saturday, October 21, 2006

Site of the Week: ThinkGeek

Hi all,

Another week over, and another site of the week on the cards!

Site of the Week: ThinkGeek
Site URL: http://www.thinkgeek.com/

Visit this site if...: If you're having trouble getting a gift for that special nerd in your life, or if you've ever watched a Star Wars movie and though "Man, I wish I had a lightsaber!", but never really though much of it? Or if you're the type who simply likes to buy a lot of gadgets, such as a device that will cool your favourite drink by plugging the device into your computer (via USB port), then this site is for you!

Synopsis: I found this site while browsing the web a few weeks ago. How I stumbled upon it is not that important (browsed a links page, then browsed that link's links page, and bingo bango, sugar in the gas tank!). I guess the appeal of the site is greater for me, having been around computers a fair bit for the last 10 years of my life, and with most of my mates being Computer Science majors at Murdoch University, you sort of just fall into things like this.

When you first visit the site, you're greeted with a page showing the most popular items on the website (including the aforementioned lightsabers; and not just some shoddy cheap plastic version that Mattel or whatever company that the Star Wars franchise use to make merchandise, we're talking quality here!). It's always good to see websites that show what their most popular items/features are. To me, that means it meets the approval of other users, and is a good yardstick for me.

The site is easy enough to navigate around, with products split into different categories (shirts, toys, gadgets, etc). They have everything here you could think of, from a blank keyboard, to a Skype cordless phone, to a Nintendo Controller Alarm Clock (OK, get this, its an alarm clock, in the shape of the old NES controller, that plays sounds from Super Mario Bros when it goes off! Oh, you can also "unlock" other alarm sounds by playing the mini games on the alarm clock. How cool is that??)

For the security-conscious among us, ThinkGeek uses the latest 128-bit encryption for transactions, meaning those credit card details remain confidential. One of the features of the site that I particularly like, is the fact that you can purchase things on the site through Paypal, through which i've purchased things before, and found to be safe (not having purchased through ThinkGeek myself however, I cannot say, as i've only ever used Paypal with my eBay transactioning). For the readers of this site who do not live in the USA, yes, they do ship to you too, although you'll have to create an account and follow the check-out process to actually figure out how much it will cost to get items out to you.

Anyway, i'll leave it to you all to nerd it up a little and have a browse over this website (bear in mind, it is just over 2 months until Christmas, so this site could provide you with that awesome gift you've been looking for). It should be note that the site is not only for guys, and does cater for girls too (mainly in the clothing department; I mean who wouldn't want their girl to be wearing this Street Fighter-themed shirt or this amusing poem shirt?)

Oh, and if anyone out there likes giving random gifts to people, I have my eye on a couple of items, and you need only contact me through this site to get my postage details and my eternal gratitude! :)

Until next time, adeus!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn you, there goes some cash!

Sunday, October 29, 2006 9:01:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home