Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Site of the Week: 1980 games

Hi all,

Apologies for the delay in getting this week's Site of the Week to you, but the delay was caused by a number of reasons.

Oh who am I kidding? I got lazy!

Anyway, here it is folks!

Site of the Week: 1980 games
Site URL: http://www.1980-games.com/us/

Visit this site if...: If you're old enough to remember the 80's, and can remember the local deli or shopping centre or games parlour that had those awesome classics such as Double Dragon, 1942 and Kung Fu that you used to play (normally for 20 cents, or if your local wasn't as generous, 40 cents), then this site is for you. If you simply have a lot of spare time on your hands to play games all day (be it at home or at work [and if its work, please leave a comment as to where you work and how I can get a job there!]), then this site is for you.

Failing that, if you just wanna waste a bit of time playing games, step right up!

Synopsis: I stumbled across this website about a year ago, when I was searching the web for sites with flash games (decent ones, not shit ones that don't load properly, or are too short). I can tell you I was pleasantly surprised when I stumbled across this site, and with good reason.

As you can see, when you first visit the site, you are greeted with a number of clickable images, each linking to that particular game (which takes a little time to load, depending on your connection speed). Simple enough interface, which enables you to have fun quicker, which should be the aim of all free online gaming websites.

Then I noticed a little something something in the middle of that opening page. You can see it under the heading "Online Nintendo video games". Yep, that's right, this site has over 800 NES games available for you to play FOR FREE! So on top of old arcade favourites, such as the three I listed above, this site also has those old school NES classics such as Gauntlet, Arkanoid, Tetris, Battletoads, The Legend of Zelda and so many more! What an amazing collection, and it's all here, categorised just for you, and available to play at any time.

On a side note, I simply can't stress how happy I was to see the Nintendo stuff online. Back when I was young (around the time of the Gulf War; yes I am THAT old), I used to play my NES all day long, alternating between the few games I had (which at the time were Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and a few others). Finding this site means I can reminisce about the good ole days, as well as try the games I always wanted, but never had.

Anyway, I hope the delay was well worth it, and you find this week's as fun and as enjoyable as I did.

Until next time, ciao!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

TMNT the arcade game!! And Talespin and Addams Family and Battletoads and Galaga and and and... alright, I have to get back to work. Thanks Pete

Thursday, November 16, 2006 6:07:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome find. I saw it before, but forgot all about it. You could spend hours playing all those games.

Thursday, November 16, 2006 7:33:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn you! I want 96 hours of my life back!

Monday, November 20, 2006 6:26:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home